Monday, June 7, 2010

Bad-ass chick or too independent for her own good?

The last time I mowed my lawn was a few days before I broke my foot. So roughly two weeks ago. It was VERY long and in desperate need of mowing. My neighbor's lawn service had been out twice already to mow theirs. The neighbor on the other side also had mowed twice. It was starting to look like the shitty house on the block. I don't want to have the shitty house on the block. It's bad enough that my yard is 30-40% weeds and that the boulevard is 99% weeds. I can't also have the seeding grass up to my knees (it wasn't that long...shin maybe). So I thought Brett was going to do it. I had brought it up last week...Wednesday or Thursday and he said he wouldn't be able to until Monday since he had to work til close every night until then. I didn't actually make a plan for him to do it, I just assumed. I called when I got off work, he was in Burnsville working on a buddy's car. No biggie I say...told him I was just hoping the get him to mow the lawn then take him out for dinner and a beer. He seemed intrigued by the beer and food offer (I know how to get him) and said he'd come out when he was done. Long story short, he wasn't gonna do it. It was getting too late, he was too busy. I laid a guilt trip on him for...well...no reason really...it's just what I do. Either way, by the time he says for sure that he can't do it today, I'm already in the backyard weed-whacking the shit out of the back section of my back yard. Which is 95% quackgrass and 5% some kind of vine-weed thing that is making it's way quite easily into the actual yard area. It's a HUGE pain in my ass, but I figured I'd get out there and do the edging and whatnot before Brett came out to mow. So I'm out there already, the foot is feeling okay as I had a beer after work so I decided that I would just walk really slow and it would be all good. 30 minutes in and my foot is not feeling so good, I really should have just stopped at the back yard and had Brett do the front tomorrow or whatever, but that's just not me. No, no. I figure I'm already out there, the foot already hurts, I might as well finish it. The front yard is remarkably more uneven than the back what with all the dandelions, clover, old clumps of dead grass and "bunny spots" (small oval shaped depressions in the grass where bunnies have been nestled in for a rest). Ouch. The foot is still throbbing lightly an hour later with no signs of stopping. I'm having another beer. So the question remains: Am I a bad-ass chick for mowing my lawn with a broken bone in my foot and a still very stiff swollen ankle? Or am I a stupid girl who should just learn when it's okay to wait for help...and that it would have been okay to wait another day or two until Brett could do it because let's face it, it was already way too long? I prefer the former, but fear that it may be the latter.

No comments: