Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Good times on I-94

I had the day off today and spent the morning doing a whole lot of nothing as per usual. I woke up at 10 or so, let Max out potty, ate breakfast and had a cup of coffee. I watched Sunday's Desperate Housewives and spent some time on Facebook (totally addicted). I actually was considering just going back to bed because I was super tired from shoveling and having to work late last night. A nap sounded like a really good idea, but...alas...I desperately needed to get dog food for Max. I was completely out and had fed him treats for breakfast. Then, I hit up gamestop.com and found out that they are selling Wiis again and just had to order one!! I've been having some serious Wii-envy lately since it seems that everyone either just got one for Xmas this year, or had one already and got Wii Fit. That's all anyone can talk about! So I've been on the hunt the past week or so and had resigned myself to the fact that I was just going to have to wait since the only ones I could find were being sold by private sellers for around 30% more than the thing is supposed to be sold for. I refuse to get screwed. Anyway...I'm getting a Wii and am very excited about it. I digress. So I was no longer about to fall asleep and decided that I should just get off the couch, go to Petco and maybe hit the grocery store. Play-by-play: I get in the car and head towards 94. I briefly consider getting onto 694 via 100 instead of 94, but change my mind...should have just gone to 100. I get on the ramp towards 94W and pick up speed. I turn up Britney's new CD Circus. I notice what appears to be a chunk of snow on the road that has fallen from some car's wheel well. I pick up more speed and run into the alleged snow chunk. BAM!!! Or maybe KABLAM!!! Britney skips for like 3 seconds and then comes back on. WTF?!!! That was no snow chunk. That was more like a solid ice chunk that probably was shaken loose from the back of a semi truck! I have no choice but to continue onto the freeway. The car is pulling hard to the left and I know that I've blown a tire. I'm in denial about this fact though and continue on towards the 694-252-94 split. I pass a stranded motorist on the side of the road and then succumb to the fact that I too will have to pull over on the side of a major freeway. I cannot make it to 252 or East River Road. I pull over and proceed to freak out. I jump into the passenger seat and get out of my car. Cars are whizzing by me going around 65 mph as I lean over to check my tire...flat. Ugh. I get back in my car and immediately call my go-to-guy Brett. I made it through telling him what happened before I fell into tears and became a blubbering mess. Luckily he was able to come and rescue me...again. What I would do without him, I don't know...I don't want to know. The whole time I was waiting for him in my car I had my eyes glued to the rear view mirror. It was terrifying...all I kept thinking about was how you hear about people being killed on the side of the road because some jackass isn't paying attention to the road. Brett got there in record time...my knight in shining armor....or rather my knight in a very dirty, blue Mitsubishi. So now I have two new tires, which I kind of needed anyway, and all is well. I think there are two morals to this story:
1. When you have a gut feeling to go a certain way...listen to your gut.
2. Do not under any circumstances believe that something on the road can be driven over without a problem...especially in a Minnesota winter!!

No comments: